Tuesday 29 July 2014

The Monroe Legacy - G.3. Chapter 21 - This Wonderful Mess We've Made

Hayden stepped back his cheek already reddening and looking a little taken aback.

'Well I wasn't sure how you'd react but I wasn't quite expecting that!' he said ruefully.



'How could you be expecting anything else Hayden!' Eva threw back, disbelief written clearly across her features, 'I haven't heard from you in almost two years! And now you're here. On my birthday of all days!'

Hayden's face fell, 'I'm sorry, I though maybe you might have missed me, that you might be ready to give this another go, I've never stopped wondering... But I guess it's too late... I'm sorry to have spoiled your birthday.'

Now it was Eva's turn to look bemused. 'Give you another chance? What were you thinking? You vanished Hayden, and now there's Flynn to consider, you don't even know him!'



Hayden's shoulders slumped, ' Flynn. I knew you'd found someone else, I knew that had to be why you did what you did. My parents were right. Goodbye Eva, I really hope you're happy.'

This wasn't making sense. Someone else? Was he drunk? High? Had he lost his mind?

'Hayden, I have no idea what you're talking about. What am I meant to have done? All I've done is pick up the pieces you left behind and raise my son. Raise our son.'



Hayden stopped dead, turning slowly, his face white and his eyes wide.

'Your son?' He managed, his mouth opening shutting as no further words came out.

Eva was lost now. 'Our son. The one I called to tell you about all that time ago. And I never heard from you again.' She could see his brain working even as he stared at her wordless. Then his jaw set, his voice quiet but filled with loathing.

'I am going to kill my parents.'

-----------------

Two hours later and the picture was clearer. No less painful or unbelievable, but clearer. 

Hayden's family had been visiting when Eva had called, his younger brother Chad had taken the call, the two sounded similar, but instead of waiting and telling Hayden who was at a lecture, he'd blurted the whole thing to his parents who he was with, waiting for Hayden to return.



When the message was finally passed on, it was rather a different one from Eva's original. The Steels were a wealthy and respected family, a teenage pregnancy was not what Titus Steel had in mind for his eldest son. Instead they told him Eva had called to end things, reinforcing the false message with their "observations" of her with another boy around town before they'd left for their visit to England. As Hayden wallowed in his heartbreak, they'd comforted him even as Titus used his contacts at the school to send a message from Eva's school account putting a final nail in the coffin of their relationship.

Hayden had buried himself in schoolwork and parties, moving from one one-night-stand to another, convinced by what seemed now pretty pathetic evidence that the girl he loved saw him only as a summer fling. When the opportunity arose to do another year in England he had accepted and had just recently returned to town, still unattached, where the memories of Eva had driven him to come and see if she might give him another chance.

Eva listened shocked and horrified as the whole sordid business emerged, hearing only Hayden's fury on his end of the phone. His parents had the decency to admit what they had done, begging their son to see that the child could have been fathered by any number of boys in towns, you only had to look at Eva's past to see she was a man-eater.

This was the point that Hayden hung up, collapsing to the sofa with his head in his hands. Eva didn't know what to do, her heart was breaking all over again and not for her. It broke for her son, who might have had two parents to love him right from the start if pride and idiocy hadn't kept the Steels from telling the truth and both her and Hayden from contacting each other and demanding a better explanation.

The tension was broken by a child's cry from upstairs  and Hayden finally met Eva's eyes.

'Is that...'

She nodded. 'Do you want to meet him?'.

Hayden said yes, a tight smile betraying his nerves. Eva went up and calmed Flynn before bringing him down stairs. As she entered the living room she could almost feel Hayden's gaze fixed on the little boy in her arms. Flynn regarded the stranger who looked so much like him with apprehension, Hayden reached out uncertainly and Eva passed her son to his father.



She watched Hayden's face change as he took in the resemblance, watched the pain blight his features as he realised what he had missed. She watched his expression change as he felt for the first time that impossible love that she had felt the first time they given her Flynn to hold.

From that day things were very different for Eva and the Monroes as a whole. Hayden got a condo nearby and was always around, helping with his son and spoiling him rotten. He broke off all contact with his parents. 

He also helped Eva study, impressed by how advanced she was but disappointed as she repeatedly turned down his offered affection, insisting that they learn how to co-parent before they rekindled any sort of romantic relationship.



Strangely, Casper also liked Hayden, the two would play chess for hours, equally matched in skill and concentration, rarely speaking but companionable in their silence. Having got over his urge to castrate Hayden and being caught up with the situation, Gray was glad to see how hard the young man was working for his grandson and daughter. He was also thrilled that Casper had accepted him, it gave him faith that his son was capable of forming bonds when the right kind of people were around.



Lillia was pretty ambivalent to the whole fiasco but was soon forced to take more notice when the school gossip mill got hold of the "Steel scandal" as it was becoming known. Lillia had confided only in Daisy and Rose who had sworn to keep her secret. She hoped that maybe Chad Steel had been the one to start the rumours but she had been friends with the Flowers long enough to know that their promises weren't always binding.



She'd seen Daisy kissing the boy the Rose was infatuated with at a party when Rose had had a cold. She'd seen Rose copying in a test and when the teacher caught the duplication, Daisy swore blind that she had seen the other girl copying from her friend. Life with the Flowers was exciting and sociable but she was increasingly aware that it had it's dark side too.



The problem was that it was easier to be in the crowd than at the mercy of them and with the end of middle school on the horizon, Lillia didn't want to start high school without her girls at her side. So mostly she tried to avoid the drama and the backstabbing, only getting involved when she had no choice and even then rarely doing more than agreeing with the overriding opinion.



In theory, she liked the idea of being the girl who stood up for the underdog, who came out on top because she did what was right like the heroines of all those teen movies. But they were just movies, and the real world was harder and at Brittlebush Academy you either ruled the halls or you tried to melt into the flooring to make the process of being walked on less painful. So Lillia bit her lip, even when it was her own family being discussed, rolling her eyes on cue and nodding when Daisy pointed out to some gossiping wannabes that after all, Eva was only her half-sister, and hadn't even grown up in the same house.


Lillia blushed at that one, barely able to meet Eva's gaze that night after she agreed with her friend while her conscience screamed that she was a coward.  Eva noticed the change in her sister but didn't have time to get to the bottom of it, her well-meant enquiries about Lillia's life met with a wall of teen attitude and awkwardness. Lillia wished she was more like Eva, fiery and brave, but all she had right now was an average GPA, swimming and her popularity. Even her little brother outdid her in most ways, he was two school years behind but he could do her calculus in an instant never mind his science projects which completely baffled her.

Lillia was just glad that Casper had never joined the  Brittlebush Middle School, she wasn't sure that even her social standing would have protected him and invisible friends were no help in the schoolyard.



Casper was glad too, from what he had seen of Lillia's friends he was pleased that he went to Oakfield and not just because of the uniforms and the turrets. He liked his sister fine but the other two girls talked all the time and very rarely said anything that made sense. Casper knew all about hormones from his biology textbooks but he was glad he hadn't had to deal with them yet, he didn't think that lip-gloss or boys or prom would ever be very interesting. Or soccer or whatever boys were meant to like.



Casper preferred his own company or to talking to people who made a lot of sense. He couldn't really understand why Eva and dad were angry with Hayden, it made sense to focus on your studies and Flynn was only a baby who still didn't know the difference between a toy dog and the actual dog when his dad came back. Casper was just glad that Hayden was there now, he was good at chess and he knew a lot more about physics than his parents, Casper liked him.

In fact the only person Casper liked more than Hayden was Tia and that was different. Casper wasn't stupid, he saw the looks his parents had when he talked about Tia, heard the phrase "over-active imagination" bandied around by teachers but Tia was more than that.



The strange thing was that even though he knew it wasn't logical, he believed completely in Tia. Casper couldn't provide empirical proof that she was there but she was real, even if only he could see it. After all his imagination was only an extension of himself and his mind and Tia was many things Casper wasn't, talkative, adventurous and creative. It was one reason Casper kept studying, the hope that one day he would be able to explain Tia and stop hiding her away in public.

By Christmas with everything changing and relationships growing in the family Gray knew the time had come to announce his choice for heir. They were gathered together in front of the Christmas tree, ready to snap a picture.



Hayden was invited but Gray knew he was sulking, he'd caught sight of the young man down on one knee in the snow as Eva once again refused him. Gray felt bad for Hayden but also proud of his daughter, she wouldn't commit to anything until she was sure it was the right thing for her and her son, no matter how involved Hayden was becoming.



Once the photograph was done, Gray stood and cleared his throat, Rachel's smile giving him the confidence he needed as he began.

'It seems like only yesterday, or possibly it was a thousand years ago that I was sitting in your place, wondering what my mom was going to say. Since then, so much has happened in such a short time, the bad and the good and I can say honestly that if you had asked me to picture today twenty years ago, I wouldn't have guessed at all of you sitting here.



There were times I wanted to give up, when the shadows on me were so dark that I felt like I was drowning. But the light that follows complete darkness burns the brightest, without that darkness I would never have seen the world the way I do and despite my many, many mistakes I've been blessed beyond my wildest imaginings.

Rachel, I've told you a thousand times that you saved me, but I'll tell you again. You were brave when was a coward, selfless when I couldn't see past my own pain and you loved me when I didn't love myself. I'll never be able to thank you but I promise to spend the rest of our lives together trying.



Eva, you were my first true love and my first heartbreak. While I would give the world to have those missing years back, I can't hate them as I once did because they're a part of the phenomenal person you've become. You're strong, fearless and you fight for everything you want. Perhaps I don't get all of your past but I hope to have the honour of being in your future, whatever it brings I know it will be magnificent.



Lillia, you were my angel, you helped your mother bring me back to life and since then you've never stopped shining. You have a work ethic that puts me to shame, you're a true friend and a great sister and I'm so proud of who you are and how you've overcome the struggles you've faced. I have no idea how you have the energy to do everything you do and I can't wait to see what is next for you.



And Casper, youngest but by no means least. You have changed the way I see the world, it used to be that I knew of only once type of success, one type of failure and now I know better. Your mind staggers me and I can't pretend to understand half of what you tell me but that's okay. It's better than okay, it's my privilege to learn more from you every day as well as to try and teach you a little as you continue to grow up.



The three of you are all so different and I will do my utmost to provide for whatever dream you decide to chase. As is traditional you all receive an inheritance when you reach 21 and I will do whatever else I can to help you start your lives when the moment comes.



But I have to choose an heir. 

Eva, you have had so many choices made for you that I want you to be free to go wherever you choose and not to feel you have to meet any expectations but your own. Casper, you're still so young but I feel like you too might one day come to find your own dreams and the idea of the legacy in conflict.

So I have chosen you, Lillia to carry on the Monroe name. I know that you are a good person,  good friend and a hard worker but I worry that sometimes you hide behind others. This is why you are my choice. The legacy changed me from a boy who couldn't see past his ambition into a man who knows the value of what he has, I hope it gives you the confidence to find your own identity and to wear it proudly through whatever life holds for you.'



As her father finished speaking, Lillia stood mute. She was the quiet one. Perhaps even the boring one. How had she been chosen above Eva's courage and Casper's intelligence.

As Lillia finally lifted her eyes to meet her father's gaze she saw a mixture of pride and concern, as if he knew that inside she was less than the persona she let everyone see.

But Gray seemed certain in his choice, Lillia just wished she could see things as he did.

----------------------------------

So Lillia Hallie Monroe will be leading out the fourth generation of The Monroe Legacy. There were a few hitches with voting which left her in last at final count but after deducting 5 mis-votes for Casper and 4 for Eva she actually finished ahead by two in the closest vote to date!

I was pretty surprised that she led for much of the voting, but I'm excited to write her story - it will be totally different to Gray's but I hope you enjoy it! 

There will be one final chapter to sum up Gray's generation - I couldn't quite get the loose ends tied here without it being even longer so I hope you'll forgive me

Chime in the comments and let me know what you think of the new heir - was it your pick/what you expected?




12 comments:

  1. I loved this chapter and am so glad the thing with Hayden was just a misunderstanding. :)
    Lillia will be interesting to see as an heir. I look forward as always for the next generation and know that whatever you write it will be entertaining and enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks, I hope I live up to your expectation now!

      Yeah, I was glad to bring Hayden back, I designed Eva's story so it would either have a neat tidy up, if she didnt win or would start her story. So there's a part of me that's glad she didnt win!

      Delete
  2. Very interesting. I was hoping for Eva and I'm sad the voting messed up! I hope it didn't influence the decision too much - but Lillia would have been my second choice so this will be interesting too!! I find it bizarre that Gray's generation is over, I feel as if there is still more to his story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I corrected all the voting errors by discounting the multiples in the final total which is how the vote looks different to the result. I was expecting Eva too but in the end Lillia pipped her to the post by one vote!

      I know what you mean about Gray, he's still got a lot to do but it's more long term calm suff so I felt the moment had arrived to move on. You'll get to see him in the early chapter of Lillia's tale though :)

      Delete
  3. yay! I totally voted for Lilia. At first, I was so sure that I wanted Casper to win because I wanted to see how you would incorporate the imaginary friend into his story as an adult. As of the last chapter, I was leaning towards Eva because....drama! Lillia's story kind of reminded me of Mean Girls and her thoughts of being a coward and overcoming was what definitely confirmed that I wanted her to win for sure! I was honestly shocked that she won though, i was positive that Eva was going to win! I always get so attached to the heir nd hate moving on to the next generation but at the same time I'm excited to see what gen 4 has in store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I both, Eva's childhood was so fundamental to the story that I had to really push myself to make space for the other kids, obviously it worked but maybe too well. Eva would have probably been my choice!

      I'm excited to move on, Gray has been hard for me to write, perhaps coz he's a guy and perhaps because finding the balance between the kids and still talking about him hasn't been the easiest. I'm excited to start over and do another different character, I'll probably find Gray starts flowing the second I leave him alone!

      Delete
  4. So much going in this chapter and I'm looking forward to see how thinks unfold for Gen 4.
    Ok Hayden's parents are awful people for what they did and I don't blame Hayden for not talking to them. I hope he can prove himself to Eva and they can be together. If not at least he'll have a relationship with his son.
    I hope Lillia will learn to stick up for herself and not follow the past of least resistance to remain on the good side of the flowers. The whole mean girls vibe is what was throwing me off of liking Lillia as the heir but I'm sure whatever you have planned for will be interesting.
    I so wanted Caspar to win. I just liked him and thought his struggles to understand the people around him would have been interesting but would have been a struggle to continue a legacy with him though. So I guess it's good he didn't win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Hayden, its a miracle he's such a good guy with such rubbish parents! Fortunately I was able to bring him back quickly, if Eva had won it might have been different!

      Lillia will be interesting to write, their is a definite Mean Girls vibe, but that wont be all there is. As I see it she's someone who struggles to know who she is/wants to be. First she was an Eva-like, then the Flowers, who knows how she'll go about growing up!

      I would have like Casper too but I think it would have been a challenge to do the subject justice. Even writing the small bits I did needed a lot of research, I'd hate to either overemphasise or under-represent autism. I'm considering a side story for Casper though, something to do outside the Monroe timeline

      Delete
  5. I missed all the voting, but still happy to read about Lillia, and see what her real personality is when she's not being overshadowed by the Flowers.
    Hayden's parents are ridiculous. Chad? Seriously? You misinterpret what the conversation was over the phone and cause your brother to think the love of his life hates him? What is wrong with you?!
    I'm so happy Eva gave Hayden a chance to explain what happened. He never struck me as a mean, selfish guy when he was spending that summer with Eva, so I kind of thought there were other circumstances which prevented him from communicating with her, and that was true! XD It's also cool that Hayden plays chess with Caspar. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lillia was kind of a dark horse. I only really figured her character out mid-vote but I'm excited to write her now!

      Chad is exactly the kind of kid that parents like Hayden's end up with. Hayden is very much the anomale but hopefully it all comes right :p Lucky Eva has some chance at a happy ending now she's not the heir.... I'm cruel to my heirs it seems!

      Delete
  6. Hooray!!! I was hoping she'd win! :) I'm really excited to see what will come about with her Flowers and how she'll overcome their silliness. I think she'll find she's stronger than she thinks!

    I cannot believe what Hayden's parent's did to him. I mean, really? Cruel! Poor Eva and Flynn. However, it'll help them grow. I think it's hilarious that Eva won't say yes! Good for her! I wish Hayden would take the hint, though, and just stop asking for awhile.

    I love that Casper likes Hayden. I liked how you wrote from his prospective. I bet it was tough to do that, but you did great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm glad you're happy! I have to say I was once again surprised by the result... I should just start expecting my least though through option to win and save myself the confusion! Lillia certainly has a way to go, it took me a while to understand her but I think I'm there finally!

      Hayden's parents are the worst kind of snobs and I think he just wants to make up for it all. Eva won't let him in til She's certain though. The girl is a smart cookie!

      I really love Casper, I was equally parts hopeful and terrified that he would win, it would have been super hard to so him justice as a writer but it was nice to do his voice for a little bit.

      Delete