Thursday 15 May 2014

The Monroe Legacy - G.2. Chapter 17 - The Shock and the Fall-Out

Two months later Hallie and Cai sat nervously in the doctor's office. They had come in for the regular check-up and to find out the sex of their baby and after having a quick look the doctor had excused himself looking perplexed. He returned with a colleague and together they looked at the scan, conferring quietly as Hallie gripped Cai's hand so hard that her knuckles turned white.


Unable to bear it any longer she blurted,

'What's wrong? Is the baby okay? Just tell us. Please!'

The doctor turned around with an apologetic expression on his face

I'm sorry to have worried you Mrs Monroe, Mr Monroe, the baby looks fine. Well babies - plural'. he replied.

Hallie's hands flew to her rounded belly and her wide eyes locked on Cai.

'Twins?! I knew they ran in the family but I thought as I wasn't one it had missed me!' she prattled.

Cai just shrugged, 'We'll manage fine, four children is manageable and Gray will have two little buddies.'

The doctor coughed awkwardly, 'Three, actually, Mrs Monroe. You're having triplets.'

---------------------------



They were home and collapsed on the sofa before Hallie really processed what they'd discovered. Luna had taken one look at their faces and taken Gray to get Violet from school and go for ice cream.

'What the hell are we going to do with triplets Cai!' she exploded! 'I was one of five and its a LOT of work and Lola and Belle were already big enough to help out when Gigi and Oscar were babies. We're going to have four under five. FOUR!'

Cai nodded mechanically, staring at the wall. 'We'll cope honey. We can make it work,' but his tone wasn't confident. Not knowing what else to say he just pulled his wife close and began to rhythmically stroke the little bump that was soon to turn their world upside down.



The week continued with both Hallie and Cai  trying to come to terms with having three babies on the way. Financially they should be okay, the advance was due on the next Violet book deal and Hallie had a few sculptures near completion. Space would be tight but they tried to look on the bright side.



Hallie found herself reading her mother's journal again, Marlie had managed twins alone and virtually penniless and her success gave Hallie a little more confidence. Luna helped too, promising to lend a hand whenever she was needed and slowly Cai and Hallie began to tentatively look forward to their new family members. Violet was excited and desperate to help pick out names though Hallie had already firmly vetoed Pink!



Hallie's bump got bigger and bigger and soon enough she was photographed visibly pregnant and the rumour mill kicked up a gear. Cai's business trips became "trysts with a secret lover as needy wife uses pregnancy to trap successful author". Hallie was reportedly having affairs with both her sisters' husbands, Brad Pitt (who she had apparently met on set) and with Brian, who had crawled out of the woodwork to sell his story of Hallie's cruel indifference and gold-digging ways.



The Monroes tried to laugh it off though Cai almost lost it the day Violet came home from school crying because a boy in her class had told her that her parents would be divorcing "any day now because your mom is a money-grabber and your dad is in love with that model in New York". The doctors office leaked the information about the triplets and the furore increased.



The paparazzi numbers at the house swelled and Cai installed security gates and a wall .round the yard, wishing he had never written the stupid books or agreed to any personal appearances. Hallie just tried to stay indoors and avoid stress, focusing on Violet's schoolwork and drama club and Gray's development.









/

Just as things seemed to be dying down, a high profile divorce in Nashville pulling the hordes of journalists away, the first real threat emerged.

Hallie returned from Lola's one day to find things not looking as they should. A crunch of glass by the studio door told her that someone had broken a window and she called for Cai and the police.

A quick scan revealed nobody in the house and nothing apparently missing but Hallie couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong.



The next day a torn page was left in their mailbox with a sticky note and Hallie found it when Cai was out shopping.

I know who you really are, who your family is and all about Norma. I've read the lot. If you think you have it bad now imagine how it would be if the press knew you were Marilyn's niece. I wont tell but I have my price. I think you'll agree it's for the best that the police stay out of this. I'll be in touch. Soon.

Hallie let it flutter to the ground, frozen, before rushing to her room and searching for the Legacy journal.

It was gone.

----------------------------

Read the next chapter now - The Monroe Legacy - Gen 2 Chapter Eighteen - Three Rights and a Wrong

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! That was an amazing plot twist. I wonder who this new mystery person is :3

    (For some reason I had a feeling she would gave triplets)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're more intuitive that I then - I was TOTALLY surprised. Twins I kinda expected but trips!

      Heheh I felt like we could use a little mystery again....

      Delete
  2. o_O What!? Dang, girl!!! You are killing me!! Great job! Poor family, though. What a pain! Triplets!? Geez, you know how to create the drama, don't you? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorrrryyyyyy! Though you'd better not die before finishing up the Ramsey's! I wanna read that!

      And yes. Triplets. Not anticipated. :|

      Delete
  3. Ahhh, the family history coming back to bite Hallie in the butt. Wonder what she'll do now. O_O Oh dear, LOL, I had triplets in my Zenteri Reboot story, which caught me completely off guard, and I was like.... ugh. Hahaha, they're so cute though. Hopefully yours are equally as cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it does... All the attention is re opening that old can of worms.

      I'm planning to catch up with the Zenteri reboot now I have a week off. Your founder looks great so I'm sure it will be interesting!

      The trips are adorable but not what I had planned. I wanted a more manageable generation!

      Delete
  4. Oh no triplets! They're going to have their hands full. I'm not liking the new threat to the family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I figured the Marilyn-thing had to turn up again somewhere somehow. But poor Cai and Hallie :(

    ReplyDelete