Sunday 6 April 2014

Welcome to the Monroe Legacy & Chapter 1 - Losing Marilyn

Hi there - if you're reading this then, much like me, you're still loving Sims 3 game-play as we wait for Sims 4 to arrive. I realised I'd never actually finished a legacy on 3 and as I've some time off coming up I decided to have another go. This story has been brewing for a while so for the first time I'm blogging it! I hope you enjoy my story - feel free to chip in in the comments!

I'll be playing standard Pinstar legacy rules (no cheats, massive expensive empty lot, 1.3k start-up fund, no designing spouses etc.) though I wont count points. The heir can be any gender, I'll run a vote to choose if people are engaging with the blog. I plan to update three or four times a week !
-----------------------------

Without further ado I'd like to introduce the founder - Marlie Monroe.


Marlie Monroe is a mess.

It felt like she'd done nothing but make mistakes since the day she was born, her parents didn't want her around, her mom had left when she was eight and her dad drank so much that he never even knew if she was there. She'd ended up in the system at 15 and left town as soon as she was old enough to be on her own.

With memories like these it was no wonder she hadn't thought of her parents in years. That all changed 5 weeks ago whilst she was leafing through a magazine at the police station, waiting to bail out her latest waster of a boyfriend . On the front cover was a beautiful woman, a star of the screen and iconic sex symbol - the kind of girl Marlie had always wished she could be.

Her name was Marilyn Monroe.

The interview inside was all about her early life, a troubled childhood of neglect and abandonment. The small grainy picture of the people responsible almost brought Marlie's heart to a stop. They were her parents.

She looked closer at the pictures of this Hollywood star and then in the mirror. Under the tear stains there was a similarity, the colouring, the bone structure, even a distinctive mole. Could it be they were sisters.....

After 21 years of being ignored, 6 foster homes and a series of lousy boyfriends the chance of having a  sister - and a famous on at that - was the chance Marlie had been waiting for.


Marlie ran out of the police station and spent the next week desperately trying to make contact with what could be the only family she'd ever known. She spoke to everyone who might be able to put her in touch with the elusive star; journalists, ex-lover, even drug dealers who claimed to know her. But the security was too tight.

Marlie had given up hope when she bumped in to someone who had the kind of access she'd only hoped for. Marilyn's shrink. Marlie explained her story and begged for an introduction.
 Dr Ralph Greenson took a few days to decide what to do before approaching Marilyn, thinking that facing her past could perhaps calm her demons. He arranged a meeting on the spot but when he arrived at her door leaving Marlie hopeful and terrified in the car he had no idea the horror awaiting him.

Marilyn was dead.

As the police flooded the hotel Dr Greenson shoved a crumpled note in Marlie's hand and told her to leave.

It read,

Ralph-

I'm afraid and I can't go on. You say my family has found me - I can NEVER see him again, you know what he did. There's danger everywhere, from the most powerful families in the country, from the studio and now from my past.

I always said that some people aren't meant to be saved,

-M


Marlie was horrified. What if her search had pushed her sister over the edge. All she wanted were some answers and instead she looked like she was involved in the suicide of the most iconic star of the moment.

Marlie ran.

She fled California, avoiding anywhere she'd lived - she couldn't face the reality of the situation. She had no answers, no family and the media were hungry for someone to tear apart over the fact that the brightest star of the moment had burned out.

Marlie wanted to vanish. She hitch-hiked through the states, heading South until she was sure she was invisible. She went from town to town, but nowhere felt like home until one day she trudged past a sign welcoming her to Appaloosa Plains, Utah.

The town was small, the population self-contained and the land was cheap. It seemed a good place to disappear and to start again.

With the last of the bail money that she'd been living on she went in to the land-registry office. It cost her almost everything she had (especially paying a little extra to avoid giving her identity) but when she walked out of the building Marlie had a home.


Well a mailbox anyway.

And she promised herself that she'd live the life that she and her sister had deserved. A good healthy life full of happiness, friendship and maybe even love.

She spent her last dollars on a thrift store bed, a junkyard refrigerator and toilet and enough walls to cover it with a tiny roof.


'Tomorrow I'll begin', thought Marlie. 'I'll find a job, meet some people and I'll make my mark on the world before my time is up.'


--------------

If you made it this far- thanks for reading. I hope you enjoyed it! Please do comment if the mood strikes you.

Next time find out whether Marlie can avoid the mistakes of her past when a handsome man arrives!

Read Chapter 2 - the Truth Hurts

30 comments:

  1. Welcome. I really enjoyed your first chapter, and I loved the backstory you gave Marlie. This seems like it's going to get interesting.
    I can't wait to see what happens on the next chapter. First generations are always a challenge <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah yeah - its fun but tricky when they're so poor they have no walls! And it will be a bumpy ride I think!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on starting your own blog!! I remember when I started and how excited I was. (And how very nervous I was.) So, I'm very excited for you!

    This story is very interesting and I loved how you incorporated Marilyn Monroe. That's SO incredibly interesting! I'm moving on to the next chapter! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I hope you enjoy what's next - starting out is certainly daunting!

      Delete
  3. Hello! This is Amandralynn from the SIms and Friends share your story thread. Just stopping in to check out your story!

    I enjoyed the first chapter and love that you incorporated a backstory into your character. That's always a great thing to me! Can't wait to see what happens as the story progresses! Look forward to reading more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for stopping by. I've got a whole list of people's stories to check this evening, I look forward to yours! I'm glad you liked the story, I wanted to make myself play a wider game with this legacy and I'm a sucker for a story so thought I'd combine the two! X

      Delete
  4. Ahhhh interesting start! I'm really looking forward to what happens to Marlie in her life in Appaloosa Plains! I'm curious to find out if anyone tracks her down...! I hope not. She deserves some happiness! I can't imagine how she must feel, wondering if her search caused the mess...!
    Anyway, good start! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Marlie certainly has a big past to hide from but hopefully happiness finds her rather than trouble!

      Delete
  5. Hello. :D I found your link from the forum. I'm NewtotheSims on there. I'm interested to see how Marlie fares in Appaloosa. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome and thanks for popping by.... I hope you enjoy Marlie's story :)

      Delete
  6. :'( I hope things look up for her! Great and interesting start! Can't wait to continue reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not all bad news all the time - I just got to write a really cute bit which was nice!
      Thanks for stopping by and I hope you continue to enjoy Marlie's tale.

      Delete
  7. Hi there! I really enjoyed this! It's so neat to read a story that's also set in Appaloosa! I think the lot Marlie's on is the same one my founder lived. . .It's a huge 64x64 lot. I also liked how you included some past info about her and how you've connected her to Marilyn.

    Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy - thanks for popping by!

      Its the massive one right by the festival grounds - I think I remember thinking on yours - thats the same lot!

      Hop eyou enjoy and really appreciate your reading/commenting!

      Delete
  8. This seems incredibly interesting! Time to spend the next hour or so catching up X3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting... I hope you enjoy Marlie's story x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well! That was so good! I'm so sad about Marilyn, but I could understand how scared she might have been. Plus, I've been watching Scandal and I wouldn't put it past the Kennedy's to have been threatening the poor girl.

    As for Marlie, GIRL! Welcome to Appaloosa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Taina - thank you for stopping by and for your lovely comment! Haha glad I'm not the only one on the Scandal boat - there's hints of it in this :)

      There is though much more to the story than it seems....!

      YAY! I love Appaloosa! XX

      Delete
  11. Hey! It's dancefreak from the sims 3 forums. :)

    I really like the start of this, and how you pulled in such an iconic person in our history. It's really interesting, plus I love Marilyn so hey! This is pretty great ;D

    Can't wait to see how this plays out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heya, Thanks for reading! I love a bit of Marilyn too and I was in Gen 2 of another legacy when the idea hit me and I just had to play it! Obviously this is complete fiction but its been really interesting to write.

      Thanks for reading/commenting and I hope you continue to enjoy my story :)

      Delete
  12. What a fantastically dramatic opening to a legacy! I appreciate that you took the extra effort to add intrigue to the classic "here's my Sim and a lawn" legacy openings. Thanks for writing this. I'm clicking through to the next chapter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for popping by, reading and leaving such a nice comment!

      I came up with the story idea first and decided to play it out as a legacy with a twist and have been so thrilled by people's response and how well it has gone.

      I hope you enjoy my story as it unfolds X

      Delete
  13. I just started reading this and WOW. I can't wait to keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoy Marlie's story, XX

      Delete
  14. Just started reading this. Loved the backstory.
    I hope Marlie finds happiness, she deserves it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks so much for reading - seeing all those comments come in has been a massive lift on a grotty work day. I'll make sure to check out your story as soon as I have a minute :)

      Delete
  15. Just started reading this and I do so enjoy a good scandal! I have many chapters to read to catch up on this. The beginning has me hooked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome - I'm glad you enjoyed the start of my story! And I love a scandal too :)

      Happy reading X

      Delete
  16. Hey! I thought I'd visit your page too, since you are the first to leave a comment on my legacy! ;-)

    I enjoyed your first chapter very much. An interesting story! Will continue reading for sure.

    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for stopping g by, that's so nice of you :) I enjoyed your first couple chapters and I remember wondering if anyone was reading so I always try and take the time to stop by when a new one appears on. The forums :).

      I'm glad you enjoyed my beginning, I still can't believe how much has happened sin end it's always great to meet a new reader who has enjoyed it :)

      Delete