Wednesday 23 April 2014

The Monroe Legacy - G.1 Chapter 22. - The Changing of the Guard

Marlie cried the day that Lola aced the University aptitude test. As she explained to Brody later, it was neither a sad nor a happy cry, it was entangled with the knowledge that everything was going to change. Whilst the announcement of the wills had shaken things up for a while, most things had gone back to normal. Now Lola would be leaving and she might never come back to stay.


 The weeks flew by and all too soon Marlie's eldest daughter was packed up and moving away. Lola was in equal measures terrified and elated. She would be alone among strangers but she could be whoever she wanted at college. 



She wouldn't be the quiet twin any more, Lola resolved to study hard but also to have fun. A lot of fun.












b


Whilst Brody comforted his wife as they waved Lola off, he too was thinking of change. For years now he'd been ignoring the niggling signs that he should be slowing down, focusing instead in his chess ranking and bringing in the money which would ensure the children's futures. 



He'd made it all the way up to executive chef, he ran the kitchen these days, but it it was more stress than was ideal. Perhaps he should talk to Marlie about slowing down.



Marlie wasn't blind to Brody's struggles. She knew he wasn't sleeping and that he was losing weight, she knew that he was starting to look his age, but she didn't know how to raise the idea of taking things easy with him, he'd always been so proud of his ability to provide. If only he would let her carry some of the burden, she was on the city council now and they could manage on her salary.

But fate has a funny way of forcing these conversations before we're ready to have them. Marlie returned home from a fundraiser to find Brody collapsed on the floor, holding his chest.




'I've called for and ambulance' he panted as she ran to his side and clutched his hand. ' I think it's my heart'.

As they rode top the hospital the ambulance techs ran all sorts of checks, as soon as they arrived Brody was rushed on to a trolley and through a set of swinging doors whilst Marlie struggled to fill in all the relevant forms with shaking hands.


 
Brody had suffered a case of acute angina, further testing revealed that he was exhibiting early symptoms of coronary heart disease. Brody felt strangely relieved, not that the diagnosis was CHD but that there was something wrong with him that was identifiable and treatable, if not curable. If Brody could just reduce his stress levels, eat better and exercise more than there was every chance he would live to a ripe old age with minimal risk of complications.

Marlie was shaken but rang home to relieve the worries of the waiting family, before curling beside Brody on the hospital bed and crying out all the worry and guilt of the last few hours. The fear of losing Brody had consumed her and she knew that she needed to make a decision about the heir so that they could enjoy their time together before it ran out.





Brody handed in his notice the next week and Marlie began to make up her mind.

Belle had decided that she definitely didn't want to be the heir. She was absorbed by her music and was working two jobs, days at the recording studio where she was on the cusp of  managing her first act and nights at a bar where she pulled pints and played the odd acoustic set of her own material.








Belle was exhausted but happy, she spent every spare moment working out, writing songs and hanging out with Harris, her best friend. Marlie wondered if perhaps there was something between them but Belle was so focused on everything else that she barely noticed the way Harris looked at her when he thought she wasn't looking.



As Belle worked hard on her career, Oscar worked hard on his physique! He wanted to be a male model, or, failing that, in the army.



 He spent hours perfecting his smouldering glare on Marisol. She didn't seem to mind, especially when he did it with his shirt off!



Georgia still didn't understand what the two of them had in common but she was happy that her brother was happy. Marlie had finally persuaded Georgia to start taking life a little more seriously so she was dabbling in a few things. 


She liked to bake and draw, but it was still so much more fun hanging with her girlfriends and flirting their time away!




Despite Georgia's flightiness Marlie's main concern was Hallie who seemed to be spending a lot of time alone now that Marisol was dating Oscar and Belle was so busy. She'd go out for long walks on her own and was very quiet. 

Marlie wondered if there was a boy but Hallie didn't seem to be using her phone or behaving sneakily, she was just a little withdrawn.

Hallie herself wasn't really sure what she was doing. School was weird because between her reputation as a hot date and her siblings popularity people seemed intimidated by her. The truth was that Hallie was intimidated by them, she just wanted a normal high school life but people seemed to think she was some super cool artsy rebel, so it was easier just to avoid it all and lose herself in art.



The only person she said much to was Abner who worked at the consignment store, they had long discussions about art and life and Hallie felt some days like he was the only one who understood her. 


She told Abner everything, except her one big secret. Hallie wasn't out walking at night, she was out making art. As much as she loved her easel there was something exciting and forbidden about the hiss of spray-paint and the expansive art she could create on the walls of local buildings. She tagged each finished piece with her signature, a simple question mark.



Hallie's work began to attract attention around town, both from art enthusiasts who declared the artist they were referring to as Why was the new Banksy. The cops were also interested but for entirely different reasons!



As Marlie felt her middle daughter closing in on herself she realised that she'd made her choice.  Once Lola was home for Christmas and the presents had been opened she sat down her family (except Belle who had a gig with Harris) to announce the choice she had made.



'I never thought it would be so hard to choose,' she began. 'I thought perhaps that more of you wouldn't want the responsibility and I'm so moved to know that you all love this family as much as I do. 

Belle isn't here, not because she doesn't love us all but because her dream is a different one, her wish is that I not consider her as an heir but she has promised me that she will support whoever is chosen. Oh and also to be the first Monroe on the Hot 100, if anyone can make it it would be her!

Lola, I'm so proud of the woman you've become. You're chasing your dream at university, making so many new friends and I couldn't be more excited to see what your life will bring you.

Hallie, you're so talented and creative. Every time I see your work I am amazed that you have achieved so much at such a young age, you inspire me and I hope that you will never lose that spark.

Oscar, you're such a gentleman. You're strong and brave and popular but you never use your strengths to make other people feel smaller, you make everyone around you shine. I see Marisol light up whenever she's around you and I'm so proud to call you my son.

Georgia, you're just learning what kind of a person you want to be but I know that whoever that is she will be a joy to be around. You're carefree and positive and free and I hope you never lose any of those qualities.





But I have to choose. 

After a lot of thought and a lot of discussion with your father, Hallie will be the heir to the Monroe legacy.'


Hallie looked dazed as Georgia leapt up and hugged her sister and Lola smiled warmly at her. Oscar seemed indifferent.

Marlie continued, 

'Hallie once you are 21, this all becomes yours. We chose you because we felt that you would most benefit from the opportunity to build an identity and a home in this place. You have your talent, your intelligence and a good heart and we hope that you will find the other components that you need for a happy and fulfilling life as you continue our family legacy.'

Hallie couldn't believe they'd picked her! She was so sure it would be Lola or Oscar, especially when Marlie was listing all their qualities. But they'd chosen quirky little her - Hallie vowed she would make her parents proud!



--------------------------

So there we have it! The heir to the Second Generation of the Monroe Legacy will be Hallie who ran away with almost 50% of the vote!

Read the beginning of Hallie's story here - The Monroe Legacy - Generation 2 Chapter 1 - Growing Pains

Thank you to all who voted - let me know what you think of the new heir in the comments - I'm excited!

And to say thanks here's a sneaky peek at what Miss Hallie Mae Monroe will look like once she officially takes over her family's legacy.


10 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!!!! I love her! I usually am a blonde fiend, but man, she looks awesome with that black hair & blue eyes!! Yay!!!!! :::::jumping up and down:::::: I loved this chapter!! You did a good job with who was doing what and poor Brody! Glad he was able to quit his job and, hopefully, he can start relaxing a little more and enjoying retirement! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is rather gorgeous isn't she. Her and Lola were probably my favourites but I was surprised by how much Hallie won by! I'm so excited to start writing her, she's got a rather different style to Marlie so it should be a lot of fun. Poor Brody, he just needed to slow down, the few years he has on Marlie are starting to show :(

      I'm pleased you're happy with my lively heir... Despite her lush black locks!

      Delete
  2. Aw man I tried commenting and hit log out instead of publish xD whoops.
    Anyway, trying to remember what all I said. First off, aw man poor Brody. I got very frightened for him and Marlie but I am glad he's okay!
    This was a great chapter. So glad Hallie won, she's the one I voted for :3
    Hard to believe Marlie's story is over. What a generation! But as sad as it is I am also excited to read Hallie's story. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate when that happens - I disabled the captcha coz it drives me nuts but I can't move that stupid button which is right where the post button ought to be. I do it all the time!

      I think he and Marlie needed the reality check - theyre getting old and you never know how much time you have - they need to let go control (I do to - I like them too darn much though!)

      I was surprised how much of a runaway favourite Hallie was - I loved her though so I'm excited - she's skidding around my head with possible plotlines right now with the adorable braid!

      Delete
  3. Ooh she's so pretty. I didn't vote because I was too late, but I'm happy she won. She's the most unique out of all of them.
    Aww Brody haha, I'm glad he made it through, and that there's a cure for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will be an interesting heir I think - her story is beginning to show itself to me, it will be very different to Marlie's I think - dramatic in a smaller way.

      And yep - I so wasn't ready to see him die yet!

      Delete
  4. Brody I will be so sad when he dies. I get really attached to sims so that will be depressing. I love hallie so I can't wait to read on to generation two! My goal is to be all caught up by the end of the night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was gutted when it happened, he's such a good guy! I always comfort myself that he lives on somewhere in an archived save!

      Delete
  5. I'm glad Brody survived, it's sad that sometimes it takes a health scare before people realize they need to make changes. :( I like Hallie and I can't wait to read what she does in Gen 2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a little sad it wasn't Lola, but I like Hallie too! More now I've read this chapter, I feel like I know a little more about her now...

    Still it's a shame we didn't get to read more about the Carson - Lola love drama ;-)

    ReplyDelete