Sunday 13 April 2014

The Monroe Legacy - G.1. Chapter 12 - Something Old and Something New

This chapter contains some adult language - please don't continue if this will offend you.

---------------------------------

With a regular paycheck coming in to the house for the first time in years, Marlie and Brody decided it was time for a remodel. They couldn't afford much but they extended the family room to include a proper dining table, extended into the lean-to to make a little room for Brody's chess table and redecorated the girls room. It was starting to feel like a home rather than just a trailer.


Marlie felt a little lost without the girls to care for and spent her days cleaning things and trying to improve her cooking. She slept fitfully and was always tired, dreaming of empty mansions and toddlers who were crying just out of sight. Brody was worried about her - she didn't seem herself, tossing and turning all night long.



 Some days he would get home from work and find her out, she'd come home hours later subdued and sometimes teary and claim to have been "out walking", Brody didn't know what to think.

Marlie kept finding herself out at the Jeans mansion. The message on the gate was always the same but she could have sworn that she saw people in the windows and things moved around in the garden. She knew it was obsessive but she kept going back.



After a month or two of this behaviour, Brody finally confronted Marlie. She burst into tears as she hadn't realised how her search for NJ had impacted her whole family and she wished more than ever that she could tell Brody everything. Once again she found the truth about Marilyn on the tip of her tongue but remembering the warnings of Dr Greenwood she held it in.


A few mornings later she found a crisp white letter, a letter that had clearly not seen the inside of a postman's bag in her mailbox. She unfolded it carefully and found a short message.

Marlie,

Live your life - I've had to leave town, somebody dangerous had found me. They don't know who you are, you musn't let it slip or you'll be in danger. Stop coming to the house, I will write when it's safe.

Stay safe and be strong,

NJ

 Marlie knew she had to let NJ go for now. As desperate as she was to find out why they knew all bout her she couldn't put her family in danger. She redirected her energies in to her family life, helping Belle to learn to paint and encouraging Lola to make new friends.


She even went back to work, doing three days a week at the book store to help support her family, she didn't want to depend on Brody's kindness as they weren't married and they hadn't discussed changing that any time soon. Even after making so many positive changes, Marlie still felt exhausted and emotional a lot of the time, she confided in Brody who eventually persuaded her to go the the doctors.

The morning of her appointment an unseasonable chill was in the air and Brody was called into work, the other chef had slipped on some ice and couldn't make it in. Marlie sat nervously in the waiting room alone hoping that it was nothing serious.

After her examination and running a few tests the doctor sat back in her chair and looked Marlie straight in the face. Marlie shrank from her gaze, was it cancer, diabetes, depression.....?

'Marlie you're almost six months pregnant' said the doctor.

'I'm sorry what?!' she stuttered back.

'You're pregnant. Didn't you notice the weight gain, the mood swings, your period stopping?' asked the doctor disbeliveingly.

'Mt weight has always fluctuated and I've been very stressed lately' said Marlie, 'It didn't even occur to me that I might be pregnant. Oh God, what will Brody say'.

Marlie hurried home in a daze. Would Brody be pleased, they'd discussed having children but agreed it was too soon for them. They'd only known each other for 9 months. Another mouth to feed would make everything harder. And what would the girls think? She sat on the sofa to wait for Brody to get home and soon fell asleep in front of the TV.

As she slept an unexpected visitor arrived on the front lawn, he peered through the window and saw Marlie was alone and sat down to wait without knocking. When the school bus pulled up in front of the house and Belle came barelling down the stairs the stranger stepped forward, held out his arms and exclaimed,

'Come give your daddy hug Belle!'.

Belle was unsure, but he looked like the picture of her daddy so she cautiously stepped into his embrace.

Lola was less demonstrative, strangers made her uncomfortable. She looked warily at Ben, muttered 'Hullo' and stepped round him in to the house.


Before Ben could react a worried Brody pulled up in his carpool and rushed towards the house, he hadn't heard from Marlie since the doctos appointment and he'd been driving himself insane imagining the worst. When he saw a stranger at his door, touching Marlie's daughter he froze.

'Who the hell are you' Brody demanded, the anger on his face so alarming that Belle immediately scuttled inside.


'I'm Ben, Belle and Lola's father - who are you supposed to be - the cleaning ladyboy?' Ben spat back.

Inside Marlie was woken by the raised voiced.

'OH! So you're the piece of shit who used Marlie for sex, then for a character witness to keep your worthless ass out of jail and then ditched your daughters when things didn't work out! You want to know who I am? I'M the man who's been helping to raise your daughters, feeding and clothing them whilst you swan around God-knows where, not paying your child support!'


 'HAH! Is that what she told you? Marlie kicked me out and then kept my daughters from me. I can see she hasn't changed much, that clever little cock-tease has you wrapped around her finger, paying for everything while she's swanning around, probably banging half the neighbours'.



 Marlie rushed for the door, meaning to defend herself and her family but as she reached for the handle she heard a shout and a thud. Peeking out of the window all she could see was a whirl of fists accompanied by strings of obscenities.




 It lasted only a minute but ended with Ben crawling away, clutching his stomach as Brody stood triumphant and shouted after his beaten opponent,

'This family already has a father and sure as heck  is not you. You stay away from these girls and this house. If you don't, I swear I will kill you.'



 Brody strode back inside and wrapped Marlie in a a crushing hug.

'Baby are you okay, did he do anything to you or the girls?' He asked, concern in his voice.

'We're all just fine' Marlie replied softly, still surprised by the strength of the love she could see in his eyes. 'But I do need to talk to you - have a shower and relax first.'


Brody emerged from the shower calmer and happier. Marlie knew the best thing was just to spit it out.

'Brody I went to the doctor this morning, I'm pregnant'. she blurted out. Brody said nothing, processing.

'I'm about six months along, I know it's too soon - Brody, just say something!' pleaded Marlie.

A slow smile spread across Brody's face, so wide it almost cracked his face in two.

'I'm going to be a daddy' he breathed, bending to press his cheek to Marlie's rounded stomach. 'That's my baby in there - Oh Marlie! We're going to be so happy!'

That night Marlie slept soundly for the first time in weeks, barely moving until she was softly shaken awake by Brody. He pulled her gently to the window saying,

'Look Marlie, it's snowing in May!' 

Like giddy children they pulled on their coats and went out to stand in the snow in the middle of the night.

'Did you know that I fell in love with you that night you kissed me in the snow' said Marlie.

Brody playfully threw a handful of snow at her saying, 'I've loved you ever since the day we spoke on the beach - so I win'. He bundled Marlie gently into the snow and she screamed with laughter, trying to put a handful of slush down his neck. When he stood up and reached out a hand to help her up, she stayed down on her knees and took his hand.

'Brody, I know that traditionally this is a man's job, but you're my everything. Hearing you defend my daughters and me tonight, I've never felt safer. Your face when I told you I was pregnant was one of the most beautiful things I've seen. I don't want to be apart from you again, not until I'm cold in the ground. 

Brody I love you, will you marry me?'

Brody didn't hesitate. He pulled Marlie to her feet and kissed her hard. He had everything he needed to be happy right there in his arms.

'Let's not wait a second longer' he replied, 'Marlie I love you, marry me tonight'.

And Marlie did.


-----------------------------------------

So Marlie is finally a married woman, what did you think of her non-traditional proposal? Chime in in the comments.

Next time in The Monroe Legacy  Brody and Marlie welcome a new arrival and a man in a ball-cap poses some awkward questions.


13 comments:

  1. First, I love the bigger house! It looks very cozy! :)

    So, so, so glad that NJ finally told her to stop visiting! She was becoming a little obsessed! I mean, I understand, but still. It's tough to walk the line between obsessive and self-control. I'm glad that she didn't tell Brody, though, who knows what is going on. Better to be safe. :)

    Yay!! She's pregnant! Hooray!! I knew Brody would be so very excited!! More so than Ben ever was!

    Speaking of that bum, of course Ben would come back! He does have rights, though, but Brody didn't like that idea, I guess. I laughed when the fight started. :D Good for Brody for kicking his butt!! Makes me wonder why Ben was there, though.

    Who cares who asks! Just glad they are finally married! Huzzah! ;) Now, they are all a real family. Great chapters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Marlie was becoming a stalker for a little bit there. I wonder if she'll ever figure out who NJ is since she can't have any contact with her...
    That's curious that Ben came back, I wonder why. I mean, I suppose it's possible he did want to see the girls, but also not possible at the same time? LOL, he didn't seem like he cared all that much earlier. He had plenty of chances to actually change his ways if he really did want to see the girls, but he didn't, he just let Lauren corrupt him.
    Hahaha, aww, Brody really does love them, he got really defensive. He showed he really cared. That was great. I agree with lovesstorms, it doesn't matter who asks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad she took the letter to heart and stopped stalking the house. I'm as curious as everyone else but I'm glad she did take a step back!
    UGH BEN ugh ugh YAY for Brody to kick his worthless ass! I was hooting and cheering on Brody xD Hope that bum doesn't come back. Ugh. What. A. SCUMBAG!!!!!
    And eeeeeee more babies and a proposal and MARRIAGE! :D I was surprised she proposed to him, especially in the time period this is taking place in, but it's all cool. Yay for marriage~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I think she's finally beginning to realise that she has to live her own life as her first priority - the rest will come (or not) in time!

      Ben is a scab, I think Brody will be keeping him as far away as possible!

      And yes, unusual even for the swinging 60s (although I've been a little lazy in my accuracies, TVs/phones etc more common than they ought to be!). I think I did it this way because it marks the beginning of Marlie being braver and fighting for what she wants. She knows that Brody is the one and she's not waiting for anyone else!
      Thanks, as always, for reading!

      Delete
  4. Well whatta chapter!

    I am so happy for Marlie and Brody. They're making such a great life for themselves and I think it's so sweet that he defended her like that! That proposal/wedding scene was absolutely adorable and I'm excited to see their baby :)

    As for this NJ business, I am still so curious! It's good that Marlie is taking a break from trying to find whoever it is though, and that she has stopped stalking the house. That would have led nowhere good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fine line between curiosity and obsession - I think Marlie needed a step back.

      And yes... finally some good progress for her. Brody just proved that when he asked her to let him be strong for her it meant something. And here's hoping their genes work some magic together!

      Delete
  5. She's gotta be very "busy" not to discover that she has been pregnant for six months! I'm so happy for her and Brody, and I can't wait for the new baby to arrive :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahahaha yes - she's been in cloud cuckoo land but this will set her straight!

      Delete
  6. I'm so hooked on this story. Brody is great, the fight between human d Ben was funny. I'm super excited to see the baby :3. Their little wedding in the snow was cute too X3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for keeping reading! I'm glad you liked the wedding, I considered a big production but a) they're broke and b) it seemed that all they really want is each other. The fight was so much fin, I got to hit Ben repeatedly (via Brody) which was satisfying!

      Delete
  7. Yay Marlie proposed and married now. Go Brody kicking Ben's butt. I hope that's the last we'll see of him but probably not. :(

    ReplyDelete